Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Thick Tuesday

I expected a lot of Marathon coverage; however, I was staggered by the amount of print it was given this morning. The thing was heavy and my spirits lifted for a moment, but I noticed two large sections already dominated by Marathon coverage. Thus I thought I would begin today by giving you the Globe's split times.

Not a good start for me as page A1 was nothing but, with the fraudulent actors fist-bumping in the upper-left corner and the coverage picking back up on page A7 and 8 before a lead editorial on page A10 (A9 a full-page ad). Not really a fan of the page and certainly far from an addict (looks $elf-$erving to me) since I usually note it, but by the time I've reached that point in my printed paper I no longer want to read it any longer. It's a problem I'm trying to overcome, but after noting the second section items I turned to some math. According to my calculations, of the 64 printed pages of newsprint (not counting Magazine) the Marathon (and related advertisements therein) coverage spanned 41 printed pages (with a total of 48 devoted mostly to sports seeing as pages C13-20 fold in other games and special section D was the times of all runners, not just the top 100). The .750 batting average (salute to JH) means I basically bought a sports section.

By then realized it was going to be a very thin day for me, so I should be off and running with many posts this morning.