Saturday, June 28, 2014

Slow Saturday Special: Text Patrol

I rarely bring the phone with me, and if I do I never pick it up. I don't understand the immediate urgency but I see people talking or texting while driving all the time:

"State Police launch crackdown on texting while driving" by Catalina Gaitan | Globe correspondent   June 20, 2014

State Police announced Friday they are redoubling their efforts at enforcing laws against distracted driving, specifically texting behind the wheel, officials said.

Increased enforcement, which will continue through June 28, will include adding marked and unmarked patrols and stationing plainclothes spotters at intersections to watch for distracted drivers, State Police said. 

They will be the rather healthy-looking fella with the sign begging for money, food, or a job.

How much more evidence do you need that they $erve elite wealth?

“Unfortunately, many motorists will not comply with the laws focused on distracted driving without the very real threat of penalties,” said State Police Lieutenant Stephen Walsh. “Our hope is that they change their behavior permanently, not just during the crackdown.”

The added enforcement is part of the state’s two-year campaign with the US Department of Transportation’s National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. The campaign, titled “Text With One Hand, Ticket In The Other,” began in 2013 and aims to increase awareness of safe driving practices and laws against distracted driving.

Between June and September 2013, more than 2,000 people were cited for distracted driving in Massachusetts, State Police said.

In 2010, Massachusetts made it illegal for anyone to compose, send, or receive electronic messages while driving and for anyone under 18 years old to use a mobile device while driving, State Police said.

Fines start at $100 and increase to $500 for repeat offenses.

Yeah, I thought I $melled a ca$h grab.

“Even worse, you put your life and the lives of others at risk, all to send a text,” the State Police statement said.

In 2012, more than 3,000 people were killed and more than 400,000 injured in crashes that involved distracted drivers in the United States, according to the highway safety agency.

--more--"

I'm sorry; I'm did not look at that until I get to my destination.