Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Why I No Longer Blog At Night

I hope you understand, readers.

"Screen time wrong prelude to bedtime, study says" by Carolyn Y. Johnson, Globe Staff  December 22, 2014

You might want to think twice about curling up with your cellphone, iPad, or laptop at bedtime.

Researchers from Brigham and Women’s Hospital reported Monday that people who read a book on a glowing screen before bedtime took longer to fall asleep and felt less alert the next morning, compared with when they read a printed book.

Reading on the light-emitting screen suppressed the sleep hormone melatonin and shifted the body’s natural sleep-wake cycle, the researchers said.

“It seems that use of these devices in the evening before bedtime really has this negative impact on our sleep and on your circadian rhythms,” said Anne-Marie Chang, a neuroscientist at the Brigham who led the work and who recently moved to Pennsylvania State University....

--more--" 

The one problem is I'm falling further and further behind, and I will never get a year's worth of catch-up into a day of work. I'm going to have to start making some decisions regarding dumping certain things or even discontinuing this blog for a while. Maybe a new format is needed. What I will do tonight is double check and redouble check my notes and decide what dead weight I can discard.

See you early in the morning, readers, in some form or fashion.