Friday, December 18, 2015

Rose-Colored Glasses

Same old song and dance if you ask me.... 

"Pete Rose said Tuesday he is a changed person even if he still likes to bet on an occasional Major League Baseball game. ‘‘All I look forward to being some day is a friend of baseball,’’ Rose said at a news conference fronting his restaurant on the Las Vegas Strip, his first comments since MLB commissioner Rob Manfred rejected Rose’s bid to get back into baseball. “I want baseball and Pete Rose to be friends. I want to say I’m not an outsider looking in. I have grandkids, and they want their grandpa to be associated with baseball.’’ Rose, baseball’s career hits leader, said he was disappointed at Manfred’s decision not to end a ban that has stretched more than a quarter-century. But he held out hope he could still one day be inducted into the Hall of Fame, joining teammates such as Johnny Bench and Joe Morgan from the Big Red Machine of the 1970s. ‘‘It would be nice to have the opportunity to go to the Hall of Fame,’’ said Rose, now 74. ‘‘My whole life has been a Hall of Fame life just by the association with the teammates I had.’’ Rose said his meeting with Manfred earlier this year — where he first denied still betting on baseball and then admitted he did — could have gone better. ‘‘I’m a good guy, to be honest with you,’’ Rose said. ‘‘I tried to be as honest as I could with the commissioner, but I made some mistakes and I clarified them. Some of his questions, though, I kind of panicked.’’ The ban prevents Rose from working for any major league team or minor league affiliate, but he is allowed to make ceremonial appearances with the commissioner’s permission and may work for third parties such as Fox, which hired Rose this year as a baseball analyst. ‘‘I’m in control of my life now,’’ Rose said. ‘‘I watch baseball, talk on Fox and talk baseball to anyone who wants to talk about it. I’m a baseball player. I’m a baseball person. That’s never going to change.’’

Neither has he, for I watched about 20 minutes of it. He starts off by saying how sorry he is they all had to be there after he's the one who called a press conference! It was the same arrogant Pete before he turned it over to his lawyer for a character reference. Then he finished it by waving his grandkids at us (as he choked up).

Related:

"Former Penn State assistant coach Jerry Sandusky, 71, convicted in 2012 of 45 counts of child sexual abuse, will collect a $4,900-a-month pension after the expiration of a 30-day window for an appeal by the Pennsylvania State Employees’ Retirement System of a Nov. 13 court order restoring Sandusky’s pension benefit. The court order said the system was wrong to classify Sandusky, now serving 30 to 60 years in Greene State Prison, as a university employee at the time of the child sex abuse crimes that were the basis of his pension forfeiture. No money has yet been paid to Sandusky and his wife Dottie, who are owed back benefits plus interest, going back to October 2012."

Looks like hush money so no one sings to me.